So many of us hold ourselves back because of fear – of success, failure, love, attention, responsibility.. you name it!
There are some simple self-help strategies you can follow to burst out of fear bubble. Here they are:
1. Recognize that fear is not real. For example, you may feel the fear of being attacked in a crowd but it does not mean that you are being attacked. It’s just an emotion like happiness, anger etc. Recognizing this will reduce the intensity of the body sensations you feel out of fear.
2. Look at the probability. How many times has your fear come true in your life? Must be less than 5% for most of the people. Acknowledging this fact should ease your fear.
3. Challenge the fear. Ask yourself, ‘Is it true?’ and then ‘Is it absolutely true?’ By asking these questions you are now separating yourself from the emotion and sble to observe it. This will give you the empowerment to dissolve it.
4. Find evidence against your fear. For eg, if you fear that people will ridicule you when you speak, find a tiny bit of evidence for any appreciation for your communication even in one on one conversation. Keep documenting these evidences and read them when you feel the fear.
5. Let go of the fear tiny bit every time. Even though it seems impossible, it is really simple when you recognize that you are the one holding the fear in your universe like the sky holding the cloud.
I can keep writing more pointers but you might get lost in the amount of information and so, let me stop here and let you practice. These exercises are like muscle building – once you get a hang of it, they will become a second nature to you. So, please be patient with yourself.
Fear is just the opposite of empowerment. To create the life you desire, it is important that you move into empowerment from fear.
If you think your fear is totally irrational and too strong for you to handle, please take appropriate help from a qualified professional.
What more magic can you create for you?
– Nirmala Raju